Sunday, February 3, 2013

Jalepeno Cheese Cornbread...and an apology.

I woke up this morning and was catching up on emails and what not when I realized....'Annie, you didn't post anything yesterday!'  Mentally beating myself up and rolling around on the floor like a madwoman, I slapped myself a few times and gathered my bearings.  Today, there will be TWO postings!  Hazaa!

If, in any case, you were wondering what happened yesterday, I will tell you.  I've been working on a local food truck and it's been really fun, overall.  Since the weather has been warming up, and our location is at a popular park here in town, it draws the crowds and families out who crave to see what's up with this trendy food truck scene since typically there's about five or six who roll out there.  In these instances where the perfect storm has brewed (sunny weather, destination location, popular food scene), the lines at the truck can be 30-40 people deep.  Let me tell you, it's pretty intimidating if you're at the grill, busting your butt and burning your wrists, to turn around and see out the window, the long mazelike tail of people, all dripping with hunger and expectations. 

At least in a brick and mortar, the kitchen is shielded (for the most part), and you're only faced with a rail of tickets when you're in the proverbial 'weeds.'  But here you can actually see people's anticipation; it's tangible.  And of course, our truck is so good, we don't let people down.  But, man, when you're grueling away in a tiny truck space for 8 hours straight, time flies (and you get really thirsty)!  So when I finally got home, hydrated, and washed the grease away and tended to my burns, I fell straight to sleep.   So sorry, for not posting yesterday (I guess I'm just really apologizing to myself, because I don't think anyone's even reading this blog! hazaa!)  Now here we are.

We made this Jalepeno Cornbread recipe in my baking class last semester and I thought it was the bee's knees.  It also was one of our recipes that we made for our final practical in which I aced with flying colors; so it holds a dear place in my heart.  And it doesn't hurt that it's delicious!


Jalepeno Cheese Cornbread
Adapted from Professional Baking, Wayne Gisslen

Ingredients
10 oz pastry flour (or all purpose)
10 oz cornmeal
3 oz sugar
1 oz baking powder
1.5 nonfat milk solids
.375 salt
4 oz eggs, beaten
1 lb 1 oz water
1 oz cornsyrup
6 oz butter, melted
1-2 jalepenos, depending on your desire for that spicy kick
6 oz shredded cheddar cheese

1) Sift all dry ingredients together (first 6 ingredients)
2) Combine all liquid ingredients in a separate bowl.
3) Add liquid mixture into dry ingredients.
4) Gently mix until just incorporated.  Lumps are still okay.
5) Gently fold in the cheese and jalapenos.
6) Grease a baking sheet, pan the batter, and bake in a 375F oven for about 25-30 minutes.
You can also  use a muffin pan.
7) Let cool before eating.  Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment