Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Cookies: Chocoate Chip vs. Peanut Butter

My local library has asked me to teach a class on decorating cookies for kids.  Though I've had some experience decorating cupcakes, cakes, pastries, etc. I wouldn't say that I'm an expert on the good ol' classic cookie.  I'm not a fan of icing on my cookies anyhow.  But, I've been doing a lot of research and there's so many resources online that anyone can become an expert in a few hours!! 

So, as my butter softens to make my batch of sugar cookies for the kids, I wanted to throw up my recipes for two classics that will never go out of style: chocolate chip and peanut butter.  Personally, chocolate chip is my go-to, but these peanut butter cookies are so nice and buttery, it's a close call.


Chocolate Chip Cookies 
Adapted from Professional Baking Wayne Gisslen

Makes about 2 dozen cookies

4 oz butter (softened)
3 oz granulated sugar
6 oz brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
5.5 oz all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
4 oz chopped nuts

Cream butter and both sugars together in stand mixer.  Add egg and combine thoroughly.  Add extracts.  In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.  With mixer running, slowly add flour in wet mixture until completely combined.  Stop mixer and fold in chips and nuts.  Using an ice cream scoop (#40), place mounds of cookie dough on buttered cookie sheet (you can also line baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup).  Be sure to leave about 2 inches of space between each mound.  Bake at 375F for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown.

Peanut Butter Cookies
Adapted from Professional Baking Wayne Gisslen
Makes about 2.5 down cookies

6 oz butter (softened)
4 oz  brown sugar
4 oz granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
6 oz peanut butter
1 egg
8 oz all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda

Cream butter and both sugars together in stand mixer.  Add egg and peanut butter to combine thoroughly.    In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.  With mixer running, slowly add flour in wet mixture until completely combined.  Using an ice cream scoop (#40), place mounds of cookie dough on buttered cookie sheet (you can also line baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup).  Be sure to leave about 2 inches of space between each mound.  With a fork, press down on each mound to make a criss cross pattern (hash or pound sign).  Bake at 375F for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown.



No comments:

Post a Comment